Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Waiting In Taipei

Megan:

Okay. If you will all direct your attention to the picture. Do those LOOK like steamed buns to anyone? I mean really? The outside consistency was like that of a dumpling, and the inside was filled with either mushy, greasy pork or chicken. I couldn't tell which, which just adds to its level of scariness (and untastiness). Here in the airport there are actually no western restaurants. So when I saw "steamed buns" that sounded rather safe to me. No one told me they were dumpling-soggy perogie hybrids masquerading as buns. The one definite thing I am looking forward to when I get home (besides seeing friends and family) is that when western food is called something, it typically IS that thing. A bun is a bun and an ice cream is an ice cream. Thank goodness!

In other news, the goodbye today was hard. I was very sad though, that girl Bee was not at the airport with the rest of the high school kids today. She was one of my little buddies, so I was disappointed I didn't get a chance to say another goodbye. But as Ruth Anne and I went to each child and gave them a hug (well, the girls anyway...the boys were too cool for hugs, of course) I got to Miki and Saiy. They completely just attached themselves to my side and started bawling. I nearly started bawling too. It was only after I assured them I would be coming back that things calmed down. It was nice to feel that I made such an impact with them, but it's sad in the sense that I've made them all sad. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when I come back though! That's what I'll keep thinking about.

ps. Noooooot looking forward to the long flight we're about to get on! Eek! Please pray for strength, good health (as in, feet not swelling up like balloons on steroids!), and as little crankiness as possible. :) Thank you everyone! Can't wait to see all of you!

Ruth Anne:

They've just called for our boarding passes which means we're on our way. Like Megan says, it was a hard goodbye at the airport. That bit where they keep watching until we're totally out of sight, waving and waving like crazy, always gets me. I loved that Mike was there with us at the end, and I was able to use him to interpret to Suradet my final words of deep gratitude and growing affection, important since it's not culturally appropriate to do the clutching, sobbing, kissing face thing I do with Yupa and the girls.

Gotta go. This may be our last posting until we arrive home. Our layovers are really short from here on in.

Thank you all for your prayers and your support. God has used this trip more than you know...in ways we'll be unpacking for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment