Sunday, May 16, 2010

And Now Let the Weak Say I Am Strong


Ruth Anne: Last morning worship. Before I climb the stairs for last morning worship, I am already undone. There is an overwhelming understanding that this trip, even more than the others, has been a deconstruction of my own heart. God has dismantled me so that I can watch Him carefully, painfully, gently move in among the ruins.

We talk about a partnership with Suradet and Yupa. It has been a clear desire from the beginning that there be no whiff of Western arrogance, no sense of rich us providing for poor them. And I think for the most part we've been able to main that equitable posture.

Still, God keeps doing a work of humility in me.

I have spoken and written before about how the song "Give Thanks" has come to have special meaning for me as I think of our Thai Family and Friends at Asia's Hope.

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Because He's given Jesus Christ His Son

And now let the weak say I am strong
Let the poor say I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us

Up until this morning the words to the second part, especially, moved me because of the reality of those words for the orphans. These are reclaimed lives. Trajectories of despair give over to futures full of possibility. There is so much for which to give thanks.

But this morning the Lord hit me with one of His sledgehammers of love. We were singing that song. And we got to the part about the weak being strong. And suddenly it wasn't about them anymore.

"That's you," He whispered, "the weak one saying that you're strong now. Because of what I've done for you. Here. With these loving hearts who have so much to give to you."

I have been entirely on the receiving end this time in Asia. Yes, we send the support. Yes, when I am home I will jump at any chance to bring awareness of the plight of Asian orphans, and add to the resource pool whenever I can. Yes, Highview and others are givers in this grand adventure of compassion.

But what has been brought home to me this trip more clearly than any other time, is that God is up to something gloriously reciprocal. We are only beginning to understand exactly how much we have to be grateful for because we are partnered with these kids.

Megan and I received again as morning worship came to a close and Suradet invited the children to stand around us and lay their little hands on us and pray for us. Little hands, little voices, big prayers, big love. I could only stand there and receive. And cry for the undeserved grace of it all.

We are packing now, heading to Mike's this afternoon for an over night there meant to better prepare us for the long ride home. But to be honest, I think God has been readying me for home the entire time.


Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can't imagine little hands being laid on me and praying...that is such a moment.
    Ruth Anne...what a gift He has given you, in making you strong again.
    Love,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete