Friday, May 7, 2010

Our first full day at Hot Springs!

Megan:

Today we woke up to roosters crowing. At 5am. That's when we had to get up to go to morning devotions. Normally I would have complained about that time (who am I kidding...I still complained!) but the devotion was really neat.

Suradet is getting the kids to memorize psalms. Today they went around and recited psalm 91 for us, which made me incredibly happy since that's my favourite psalm. He's giving them money for however much they can remember. Only Miki has made it too 100 baht!

After they went through today's chapter (on the adulteress among us), Suradet asked Ruth Anne to pray over each child. That was a really cool sight to see.

We had a short wait after that, then it was time for breakfast. It came as somewhat of a surprise to me that "breakfast" basically means first lunch. We had pork fried rice, chicken wings, cucumbers, hot cucumber soup, and mango for dessert. And since I had only eaten about half of it (I was full!) poor Yupa thought I didn't like it and brought out our bread and yogurt. So then I had some of that too.

Much to my happiness, after breakfast we brought out the beading supplies we'd brought for the kids. They were a big hit with both the girls and the boys. Somchai and Entorn sat beside me and were happily chatting to me in Thai. I think they knew I couldn't speak it. But they would ask me questions, and I'd smile and nod, and then we'd all laugh. Who knows what I agreed to!

They were also happy to see Ruth Anne's pictures of her family and her last visit. They were particularily taken with a video of Abby saying "sawatdee ka Bao!".

After our hang outs, it was time for lunch! Since we had to go out anyway, we went to a cute Thai restaurant where Suradet assured us had good ice cream. I wasn't feeling too hungry, so I asked for just a bowl of rice. Even though it wasn't on the menu, they asked the waitress if I could have french fries. Without me even saying anything! and when I was finished my fries, Yupa practically forced me to order some ice cream (not that I'm complaining haha).

From there it was on to the youth prison. Apparently every couple weeks (or every friday...couldn't quite catch it) Suradet, Yupa, Tutu, pastor Mike, Tutu's son Zachary's band, and a few of the children go to the prison to evangelize as Suradet called it. Ruth Anne and I were both particularily excited to see this, and they had even asked Ruth Anne to have something prepared!

So in we go, and the first thing you see is a looooot of boys. Probably about 150 or so. I couldn't believe it. They brought about 15 girls in later (strange number difference, I know).

Suradet and a man who looked suspisciously like a scout leader spoke first, and introduced me and Ruth Anne. We had to stand up individually and they all clapped. Embarrassing for me, but a cool thing to tell as a story later! Then Ruth Anne went up and spoke her bit.

From there we went to dinner, this really cute outdoor place. It made me think more hawaiian than thai, what with it being pure bamboo and sea shell wind chimes, etc. But lovely nonetheless. And guess what? They had ham and french fries on the menu! I have got to be the most accidental western eater in a thai world. Believe me people, I came expecting to eat lots of rice, really. And I haven't even asked for fries. It just happens. :) but I'm quite pleased!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are blessing others, and are enjoying some "small" but cool blessings in return. Sleep well.
    Love, Aunt Juanita

    ReplyDelete