Sunday, May 9, 2010

Craving An Ice Cap

Ruth Anne: Craving an ice cap about now. This is certainly the hottest of the four trips to Thailand that I remember. Those on the first trip will remember the temperatures in Phnom Penh. Well, yeah, that's coming close. With two fans on and a natural breeze helping, our room has chilled to a more comfortable 36 degrees. Right now it's Sunday afternoon and everyone at Hot Springs is observing a Sabbath siesta (although I don't think that's the Thai word for it :).

Even with the discomforts - the heat, rice three times a day, stopping to check the bathroom for giant spiders and scorpions, that sort of thing - my prevailing mood, especially today, is one of astonished yet deeply quiet gratitude.

This morning we worshiped at Hot Springs. What a holy thing it is to sense such a strong presence of God's Spirit even without understanding the words. True, some of the songs are now familiar enough that I can stumble along repeating the sounds and getting it right maybe 50 percent of the time. I have my Thai English Bible and know enough numbers to at least find the passage. There's something of a conext, and enough basic vocab that when Suradet talks about the trouble with the Red Shirts threatening our visit here and when he commends us and our church for trusting God to let us come, I can follow along almost sort of.

But really, mostly I have no clue what's being said. Yet I am totally aware of the spirit of the worshipers, and the strong heart of this Asian preacher man that I have grown to love as my brother.

So, ice caps and ant free (softer) beds not withstanding, I am having a different craving filled now. That's the deep longing I feel most of the time in Canada, waiting for the next visit, anticipating with great delight the next time I would be worshipping at Hot Springs.

Most of you reading this are in bed as I write. Half way around the world it is Mother's Day already. And this mother (and Granny Ruth to a beautiful brood as my husband reminded me in an email this morning) is far away from the most important people in her life who understand me so well that they've let me be here this day.....with these "also important" people.

Thank you.

And I'm stopping at the first Tim's as soon as I get back!!!!
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

2 comments:

  1. FYI . . Tim's profits have dropped since you've been away. They're missing your purchase of Ice Caps too !!

    Love on , dear friends. Love on.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth Anne...soooooo thankful that you continue to feel blessed. I missed your presence at church this morning...even if you are not teaching, there is just something about your presence being in the midst of us. We too had a worshipful morning...different than yours, but God was with us as well. And yes, today is Mother's Day...blessings on your incredible investment in motherhood. Oh, and just for the record...it is really cold here...almost need mittens. But lovely sunshine today.
    My hubby and kids will make supper for me tonight :)
    Much love and prayers,
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete