Monday, May 10, 2010

Another day.

Megan:

AN INSECT LAID EGGS ON MY SHIRT. What makes it worse is that I must have put it on without noticing, because I didn't see it til I was sitting down at the table 20 minutes later. Ew ew ew ew. Now I'll have to go and shake everything out to make sure there are no more baby nasties in my clothing. Gross!

In other news though, I don't think we've blogged about yesterday, other than the enormously long (but rewarding) church service.

After the service was done I went straight back to bed because I could barely keep my eyes open. I think our regular 5am wake up calls are taking their toll on me! So I slept straight through lunch, which was a little disappointing because all the congregation members stayed for it. Oh well, there is always next sunday at least!

I didn't wake up until 2:30pm or so, and ruth anne I just stayed in our room because it was so hot (the kids were staying indoors too!)

At 3:30pm ruth anne, yupa, seng-jen (suradet's sister), and I headed back to the hot springs. Ruth anne and I wanted to treat the two of them, because it was mother's day afterall. The three of them went for thai massages, but I stayed behind to explore, since I find massages somewhat weird.

I saw the geisers (holy heat batman!) And then went to order myself a bottle of water in thai. I was doing perfect until the very end. I'd handed her my money and was about to walk away when she asked a sentence in thai. I must have a blank expression on my face because she elaborated: "you want straw?" She spoke english. Who knew?

From there we came back to hot springs (the church where we stay, not the actual hot springs we'd just been at...in case that was confusing haha). Ruth anne brought out her laptop and the kids all watched videos of her past trips here. They ADORE seeing themselves in videos. They have a complete riot every time they see themselves.

From there was supper, evening devotions, and straight to bed! We were both pooped! Actually, ruth anne made a semi successful call to the sunday morning team right before we went to bed. So that was nice. :)

A word on the heat: IT IS SO HOT. We have one of those little temperature gauges in our room that we check every day...it says our room is 44 C. Yeah. That's how hot it is here. When we go to bed it's usually a frigid 37 C. Ruth Anne says it's never been this hot here before. We haven't had any clouds either. It's been non-stop sunshine.
Everyone's praying for rain. Not just for physical relief, but because of the plant life. It takes a lot of water for them to be taking care of all the plants they have!

It was kind of funny though...ruth anne was trying to explain that back home in Canada we never have heat like this, and when it does get really hot they put out warnings for people to not go outside. And that when it does get too hot and old people go outside, they will die. Suradet and yupa were absolutely horrified that the elderly people of Canada couldn't take severe heat!

The only reason I don't really feel like a wimp for complaining about being hot all the tome is because all the thais are doing it too. I had kind of assumed they'd be used to this heat, but even they keep going "too hot! Too hot!" All the time. Even they're not used to how hot it has been this past week.

But don't worry everyone, we're drinking a ton of water! I think I got up to about 5 litres the other day. I didn't know that was physically possible, haha!

Well that's all for now. We're supposed to be leaving for our overnight stay at wiang pa pao in about 45 minutes, and let me tell you, we're looking forward to the airconditioned truck ride! :) more later!
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

2 comments:

  1. Megan...I would NOT be able to handle the heat!!! It actually stresses me...emotionally. That's me. I'm thankful it is going well for you...I can hear that you are tired and hot, but you "sound" like Megan :) The bug thing would gross me out too. Yuck. Hope you sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absoultely love hearing all these stories. I want to be in Thailand with you two sooo much right now. And so does George..at church yesterday we were discussing how difficult it is seeing a group go and not being a part of it.

    I love and miss those kids. I cant wait for more pictures and updates when you two get back. My love and prayers to you and our Thai friends!

    Starr

    Ps do they know Miss Dao misses them?

    ReplyDelete