Thursday, March 17, 2011

What Happens If Suradet Sleeps In?

It's quite cool when I wake up the morning Suradet sleeps in. I know. No sympathies from my Canadian friends still shaking off the last clutches of a long and cold winter. Only cold water for a shower though, so I opt for an afternoon shower, hoping it will warm up by then.

I hear the guitar playing and see that the lights are on in the church, but its only 5:30. Every other morning we've started at 6. Probably I've misunderstood, again. There's a certain uncertainty when you are the only English speaking person. You miss some details and have to compensate, adjust quickly.

So like the shower, I forego the reading of Proverbs 18 and whatever little preparation I do in the inevitable eventuality that Suradet with ask me to "eeencoorage" the children and teach the morning's Proverb.

Coming in to sit down I see Bee, Suradet's son, is leading morning worship. He only one of several of the kids that have been given this role, part of the overall unleashing value that is so obviously part of Suradet and Yupa's child rearing philosophy.

So to see Bee at the front is no surprise. But - where's Suradet? The singing comes to an end. Now it's time for the reading of Proverbs 18. Bee looks to me. I guess I'm on.

I grab my note book where I've been learning the books of the Bible, and come to the front. I stumble over prouncing "suphasip boa ti sip bairt, kaw ti neung". Proverbs chapter 18, verse 1".

Nueng, som, sam. 1,2,3. The children begin to read.

As they are reading I am preparing my lesson - in Thai!! Oh wait. I don't speak Thai!! Normally Suradet translates for me. This is a beautiful, stumbling ballet based on his limited understanding of English, my limited understanding of Thai, an open Bible in front of us, and a mutual passion for both God's word and these kids. Even so, I know that what I'm saying is not exactly what he's saying. For example, when I was using the story of Moses' call, I mentioned that Moses did not want to go back to Egypt because he had killed a man. The translation that followed included "Thanks be to God" (I've learned that one). So....even with Suradet present, I'm not at all sure if my teaching is really accomplishing anything.

But to do this solo? Yikes!!

As the children are reading the Proverb Suradet arrives looking sleepy and just a tad dishevelled in a hurried sort of way. Maybe he didn't get the memo about the time change either?

We stumble through. It's not very good. Neither one of us is on our game, so to speak. Bee-yung is my gage. He's the most expressive and can't fake it if he's bored. He's bored.

I sit down and ask God to redeem the teaching somehow. "I offer whatever I have for these kids". I say, "may You be my Divine translator. Take my teaching and instill the lessons they need."

There is a pause from heaven. This happens to me any time God has something hard to say back to me. I brace myself. His impression to my soul comes while we are finishing up the morning worship, standing in a circle holding hands, everyone praying out loud in that wonderful Thai way that they do. And in the midst of the glorious din, my heart hears my Father's loving rebuke.

"This isn't about what you offer to them" He says, "it's not about you teaching them anything. You are the student here. This is still about what they are offering to you."

Oh my. And it is immediately true to my soul. They are very graciously allowing me to be here in their midst, patiently listening to my "teaching", giving me this time and space to transform my soul bit by bit. Nit noy, nit noy.

What happens when Suradet sleeps in? Humility. And gratitide. And the chance to experience again the new morning mercies of a gentle God midst a gentle people.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments:

Post a Comment