Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Check Up For Nut

I was going to wait until we saw the doctor to see if I could send home a report about Nut. But to be honest, we're 4 and a hallf hours into a wait for what seems very much like a regular doctor's visit, and they just announced that all the doctor's are going for lunch and they won't start calling names again for another hour. I have no idea where we are on the list.

I needed something to do!!!

It's like Emerg waits at home, but this is to see your doctor.

We wait on hard straight back benches that will make the flight home seem like a resort ride. No air conditioning, but there are fans. And every once in a while someone comes around with a brown cloth sac full of something wrappd in banana leaves or stuffed into sections of bamboo. They wan you to buy iit for 5 baht (15 cents Cn). But I've been a little braver about what I've been eating this trip, and yesterday I paid for it, so I decline.

We are watching TV and I discover that many products available at home are also similarly marketting here, only the Asian version. They also sell skin whitening lotion, since it's white skin, not dark that they regard as beautiful. Funny how us humans are never quite satisfied with who we are.

Yupa has gone to get something to eat.

For those who don't know, Nut (prounced more like "Nooat") has been diagnosed with lupis. She was quite ill at the beginning, losing weight and a lot of hair, and she spent several days in the hospital. But she has improved significantly. I am here today to learn more, and to support Suradet and Yupa in this aspect of parenting these kids.

It's also proven to be another window into Thai culture. Not just from the TV, but the eclectic smattering of human beings that wait patiently on the bences with us. I am fascinated and bored at the same time :)

A side note: I am in a room with about 100 people and I am the only white one here. This happens frequently as I shadow Suradet and Yupa in their day today life.

More later. Hopefully not too much later.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments:

Post a Comment