Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Five Minutes




We're back now from the hospital. It's almost 5 pm. We left the house at 6:45 am. That's a lot of waiting. Especially when your actual time with the doctor is approximately 5 minutes.

They were quality minutes, however. The doctor, a woman, was kind and clear with Nut, and told her that the results of the samples she had provided this morning looked very good. She asked about swelling and joint pain, listened to her chest, and booked another appointment for one month's time. It would appear that Nut's condition is improving and that she is receiving adequate medical care.

I've asked my English speaking friends here, and more money would not change her medical care. That's just the way things are done here. As the Thai's say (very differently than the Yiddish expression) "Oiy!". A whole day devoted to 5 minutes with the doctor.

I had hoped to speak to the doctor directly (I was told she spoke English), but in the mass production atmosphere and without being given an overt opportunity, I missed out. "Mai bpen rai". Never mind.

What I DID get was a significantly deeper understanding of some of the basic challenges of living here, and a wider perspective of exactly what Suradet and Yupa have taken upon themselves in bringing these children into their home.

Driving home in the car, I realized I loved them more after living this particular day with them.

Later:

It's now around 9:00 pm and some of the girls, in the company of myself, Yupa and Boogna, are finishing up their Sponsors' thank you letters on the floor of my room in the guest house. It's a happy circle of mixed Thai and English, very careful printing, and spontaneous worship songs. Suradet has caught no less than three gekos and tossed them out of the room for us. The fan is blowing off the last layers of heat and my spirit is wonderfully content and grateful. Paw-jai and roo suk korp koon.

I find I am looking up emotion words more and more in my attempts to express to Suradet and the children at least something of what is happening in my soul. It's impossible though. I can barely find enough words in English.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments:

Post a Comment