Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Full Circle Moments

 


In 2008 I met with an academic supervisor who would oversee a missions elective I had bravely (or naively) undertaken while working on my MDiv.  I was planning to lead a team of 7 on a short term missions trip to Southeast Asia to check out what God was doing there, particularly with at risk and orphan children.  This was my first cross-cultural experience.  

At the time, the church I pastored had zero global initiatives.  We were relatively young as a faith community, and completely focused on making a difference in our own backyard.  So the supervisor was quite excited to be part of what could and definitely did become a defining moment for both Highview and myself, in terms of mission, vision and strategy.

I'll get to the picture of Esther in a second, because she's what comes next.  Or came next.  Eventually.  All in good time.

Because, the supervisor said something that day that I remember very clearly.  He said that we would know that our global ministry as a church had come to a solid level of maturity and fruition when someone from among us would be called to go serve in a far away place full time.

Yes, this is where Esther comes in.

Esther was able to come visit us at Hot Springs because she is currently serving with YWAM at a unique and well-named ministry in Chiang Mai called Bahn Dem Rak (House full of Love).  She grew up at Highview, came along with me for a one-on-one trip the year she turned 18, and has spent much of her young adult life preparing for and serving in various contexts in Thailand.  

Esther's story is hers to tell, and I highly recommend that you check out her blog here.

Let's just say that, eighteen years later, it's so amazing to have watched what God has done for Highview, and for Esther.  It's a wild and beautiful sense of what it means to be part of something far bigger than our own little contexts.  The world is a big and wondrous place, with God's fingerprints all over it.

It was great timing too, this visit, and Esther being able to come for worship service on Sunday.  Specifically, she was able to interpret for me as we took a moment at the end of the service to mark the 10th anniversary of the loss of a beloved son, Bee, and prayed over Ahjahn Suradet, Yupa, Bell and Gramma Sangwan.  Not only has Esther become proficient in Thai, but she also knew Bee, loves the family, and could interpret with sensitivity and sincerity.  

We also had a fun (and extremely HOT) photo shoot out at the new property, getting ready for something special coming up in Kitchener on Friday, November 20, 2026!  Stay tuned.  You'll be hearing a lot about it very soon.

Truth be told, we do a lot of ministry without ever knowing that it's making a difference.  For most of us, we just stay faithful and trust that God is taking what we offer and doing something bigger than what we can see.  So when there's a little glimpse of something coming full circle, that's just golden.  

Two days left here.  That's all.  I'd say it went fast because it was only two weeks this time, but, that year I stayed for three months?  

That went fast too.





No comments:

Post a Comment