Saturday, September 19, 2026

Fashion Show!!!

 


I LOVE it when a plan comes together, better than imagined!

Okay, some context here would be helpful.

Every time I visit Hot Springs, I am invited to 'encourage' the children through lessons taken from the Bible.  (By the way, I love the emphasis on that, from Suradet.  "Encourage," not correct or rebuke or even teach.  Just sayin'.)

This visit we focused on Colossians 3:12-17 where Paul describes 'putting on' various virtues, employing the metaphor of getting dressed.  As usual, I provided a little something for the children to keep, one to represent each lesson.  This time, they all received a bag of some sort, with their name on a tag.  Then, as each lesson progress, something to put into that bag, knowing that at the end, we would have a Fashion Show where all these items would be showcased.  Bracelets, socks, pins, funky glasses, bandaids, a bandana and even a moustache.

The last night I was there, it all came together.


We took the time to get ready.



It was so much fun to see how creative the kids were with the way they chose to wear certain items.  Bandaids could become an eye patch.  Bandanas can become hats or arm bands, even flowing off of belts.



Our Bible School students, here for a month of field placement, got in on the action.  Sanu and Colour were really into things, suggesting crazy placement for the moustache.  

But after this flurry of creativity, we were ready!!  A bit of instruction for walking down a runway.  Music cued.  All lined up.  Here we go!!!  (Working on getting the video to show)


The background giggles, silliness and fun is what makes this such a success to me.  Our kids come from such serious circumstances.  To see them engage in such frivolity, to be relaxed and confident enough to add their own twirls, backward walks, swagger and joy; this represents so much more than just a singular crazy time with Ahjahn Ruth.  These can be breakthrough moments for children who must learn again what it means to be safe enough to have fun.  

There's another video from that night.  But you'll have to wait for it.  I want to show it at our World Children's Day Dessert and Variety Show happening at Highview (Kitchener) on Friday, November 20th.  For those not in the general proximity, I'll post it after that event.  But, just a teaser.  They sing "You Are My Sunshine" while still all decked out in their fashion show bling.
It's just priceless.  

Thank you again for those who donated the bags for this.  And also every single Sponsor.  And also every single person who donates, prays, volunteers at fundraisers, and every way you support the growth and development of these up and coming stars.  

Rev. Ruth Anne Breithaupt, MDiv.
Canadian Representative/Missionary in Residence
New Family Foundation/Highview Community Church

The mission of New Family Foundation is to
provide a loving home for at-risk and 
orphaned children in Northern Thailand to
help them achieve their best potential in 
education, vocation and service to society.



                                            
     https://www.hcckw.ca                                                                    https://www.adventive.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment