Next Trip to Thailand
September 4 to 17, 2026
Solo Trip
It's an unusually cool and blustery morning where I am today. Not feeling like Thailand at all, unlike a number of back-to-back days earlier in the month when we had that heatwave. Summer can be that way sometimes.
Never mind. Over the eighteen years now that I've been 'getting ready for the next trip,' I've been thinking and planning and preparing and imagining all the good things that will happen in the heat no matter the contrast to Ontario weather.
Since the packing and personal prep is old hat to me now, most of my pre-trip work is centered around the teaching ministry I am invited into when there, centered around English learning, Bible lessons, and pulpit teaching.
For this trip....
English Learning
Thanks to the generous donation of educator and author Pat Harrison Blueberry Hill Books, plus the expertise of retired teacher and English learning specialist Cheryl Wilton, we now have the books and educational material, plus the basics of a solid scope and sequence, to provide a fun and effective reading program geared to each child's level.
When a whole team is there, and even just when Ken and I were there last January, clearly observable progress can be seen. For me, this trip, when there's only one 'instructor,' expectations are adjusted accordingly. But we still get in some good English activities, reinforcing, what we already know, and introducing new vocabulary, grammar and conversational phrases. This happens in the space between arrival home from school and supper, and also is a feature of our daily evening times together for worship and Bible Lessons.
Bible Lessons
The practice of gathering daily, each morning and evening, to sing and pray and open our Bibles has long been part of Christian tradition, even though these days us Protestants aren't as perhaps disciplined as our Orthodox or Catholic brothers and sisters.
Ironically, or maybe not, in Thailand it is not seen as unusual to stop for prayer at various times of the day, since this is very much built into the devotional life of Buddhism. Sometimes, when we are there for a visit, we have noted how early the children get up to begin their day this way, as if it was remarkable. To us maybe. Not so much for them.
In the mornings things are quiet and sleepy and gentle. Sometimes we are still in our pjs. Sometimes, if the mornings are cool, we bring a blanket along. But in the evenings, after supper, we can be a little bit crazy, and loud, and all dancy and stuff.
This is where I lead in a very short 'program' of music, group English learning, and Bible teaching. For the Bible lessons I choose a theme, a Scripture verse that reinforces that theme, and then at least 14 lessons that build on each other.
This time out our theme is "In Style with Jesus" and the main text we're drawing from is Colossians 3:12-15 which goes like this:
Therefore, as God's chosen people,
holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion,
kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Bear with each other and forgive one another
if any of you has a grievance against someone.
Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
And over all these virtues put on love,
which binds them all together in perfect unity.
In keeping with the metaphor of putting on clothing, I've applied it more generally to include 'fashion' and for each lesson there will be be something 'stylin' to 'put on.' A ring, a bracelet, a pair of gloves, glasses etc. All of this will be collected in a small 'bag' of some sort (hence the earlier appeal to thrifters to go out and find some). At the end we will have a fashion show. And yes, I will take pictures.
As for my prep now, each lesson is mapped out with a learning objective, and key words and Bible texts written out in Thai. Any necessary props are gathered, or noted to gather when I get there. Any printed materials need to be done here in advance as well.
Pulpit Teaching
From my very first time at Hot Springs, I have been invited to speak at the Sunday morning service for the community of faith that gathers in the sanctuary on the premises. In fact, Hot Springs was a church before it was a children's home. It is truly a humbling thing to serve these precious folks in this way. Any skill or ability you might think you have in preaching to people in your own language and culture is basically null and void when you are either using a translator (as I did in the beginning) or attempting to write and preach a sermon in Thai. The weight of this is not lost on me. Preaching is an ostentatious thing to begin with. I approach this with much fear and trembling, praying for wisdom and the Holy Spirit's 'translation' as I go. It is also humbling to experience the patience and grace of my listeners. Such a sincere and truly inspiring group of humans are those who gather each Sunday at Hot Springs.
So, dear friends. When I am asking for prayer for my 'trip prep' that's what I'm talking about. That's what's been keeping this Missionary-Pastor busier than usual over this particular summer. I'm grateful for the relative 'down time' I was able to experience in March, April and May. And also grateful for the work before me in June, July and August, and the excitement and challenge of all that God's called me to do and be right now.
And yet another point of gratitude of course; the quiet and concentration afforded me while here at the cottage in order to be able to get all this done.
Not right now, though. Right now the focus is frogs and smores and swimming....and staying inside with a cozy fire on a blustery morning while boys read at the table eating blueberries, because blueberries aren't allowed on the couch for some reason. Family time, on both sides of the planet, is precious.
Thank you so much, everyone, for your ongoing support in so many ways. None of this would be possible without you.
Rev. Ruth Anne Breithaupt, MDiv.
Canadian Representative/Missionary in Residence
New Family Foundation/Highview Community Church
The mission of New Family Foundation is to
provide a loving home for at-risk and
orphaned children in Northern Thailand to
help them achieve their best potential in
education, vocation and service to society.


No comments:
Post a Comment