Monday, September 28, 2015

Set Back in the Chicken House


One of the things I admire so much about both Suradet and Yupa is their initiative and creative stewardship of the resources they've been given.  The new chicken house is a great example of this.

Way back on the new piece of property recently acquired with the help of the Korean Methodist Church, this project has been a focus of time and energy for the past several weeks.  By the time Ken and I arrived on September 16th, it already housed 10 hens and one rooster.  Then, just last week, 20 more birds were added to the collection.

The idea is to have fresh eggs, and also, as is prudent, fresh chicken to feed the kids.  Not unlike many Canadians who are concerned about where their food comes from, Suradet and Yupa seek to glean as much from the land as possible.  Only their motivation is more economic than anything else.

So when the full allotment was completely installed in the chicken house, there was a certain sense of, "Yes, here we go with this project.  Let's see what these birds can produce."  Suradet especially seemed very excited.  I think that was Friday.

Sunday afternoon there was a special event involving the young teenagers here.  It involved excited kids packing up music equipment and musicians, and heading off to Doi Saket, about 30 minutes away.  Someone was required to feed the chickens just before we left, since we wouldn't be back for regular feeding time.  And that someone, in their rush to be ready to leave, left the door to the chicken house unlocked.

That's when some neighbourhood stray dogs saw their advantage.  Must have been noisy, I imagine.  Because when it was all over, all but 19 chickens were dead.

Monday morning Suradet informs me.  I find myself truly sad and disappointed and perhaps even angry.  Come on!  These are people of meager means, doing their best to be participate in meeting their needs.  We just got those chickens!  With no time for any turn around on the investment, not one egg laid, this would be a complete write off.  Hardly seems fair, somehow.

Suradet observes my face, and smiles.  He gives a Scripture reference in Thai, and I look it up.

1Thessalonians 5:16-18
Be joyful always, pray continually;
give thanks in all circumstances
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 

The irony of this is not lost on me.

See, this is not a patronizing pastor too quickly defaulting to platitudes when attempting to correct the attitude of someone experiencing trouble.  I've seen these verses used that way, and to be honest, I've done it too.

But in this moment, this is not that.

This is the afflicted one reminding the angry privileged one  - who expects life to go her way all too often - that joy is a choice, and prayer and gratitude are better weapons any day against life's set backs and challenges.

"We will start again", Suradet affirms, "And tonight we eat lots of chicken!"


And while I'm not all that sure how I feel about eating meat that was slaughtered by wild dogs, I realize that I have been corrected in the most startling and gentle of ways by someone who clearly has so much to teach me. 




1 comment: