Monday, September 21, 2015

My Thai Guy

It took some convincing, I'll admit to that.
With our two sponsored children Thim and Eg.

For the past almost nine years I have come to this place without Ken.  That's 15 times.  Not my choice to leave him behind, but his.  He's been more than wonderful to stay home and support my far off adventures, holding down the fort and offering over and above out of our own resources to make it happen.  In all of that time, he has been completely dedicated to the care of the children that Suradet and Yupa have gathered.  Even when he has been himself inconvenienced, he's never complained.  For all the times I've come without him, he has in so many ways been completely 'with' me in this.
Giving greetings from Highview on Sunday morning.
But at last, at last, he's here in the flesh.  And I admit that it took some convincing.  Strange to think of it now.  All the 'reasons' he had for not coming seem to have dissolved in the mountain morning mist.  Because this guy, it turns out, is so Thai!

He's good at Thai manners, conscientious and holding back, always waiting for the cues, never pushy or too loud.  He slow and clear when speaking English to new English learners.  He smiles a lot, which proves a helpful tool when in 'the land of smiles'.  And he's even trying out new food!  Anyone who knows Ken, knows this is probably the biggest deal of all.  My meat-and-potatoes guy has really pushed past his culinary comfort zone, and all with gentleness and grace and love. 

Decked out in Thai Pants at the King's Garden
He's even looking the part.  Upon arrival we realized that we hadn't really thought of how exactly he'd carry around his epipen (bee sting allergies).  An extra 'manly' Thai bag of mine provided the answer, and to please me mostly, he carries it everywhere.  Then, when visiting the King's gardens yesterday, he was required to rent some Thai pants in order to comply with the dress code (no shorts).   All of a sudden, my 'please-don't-make-me-go-to-Thailand' husband looks like he totally belongs here.

And he's acting it too.  And feeling it.  Feeling it in the deeper places sometimes when, as he described, he suddenly realizes just how happy God must be about all this - this small children being rescued thing, lives transformed thing, love and gentleness being nurtured in this sometimes dark and crazy world of ours thing.

It is hard for me to adequately express just how enormously I am delighting in his presence with me right now.  For one, we're about to experience a three month separation unprecedented in our marriage thus far.  I'm trying not to think about that too much.  Not yet anyways.  We still have three more full days together.  And in each moment, I'm delighting in and enjoying the fact that he's actually here.  He's here!  At Hot Springs!

But as well, there's just this fact that he came, all this way, pressing through his own reservations, just to see what all the fuss was about, and what has captured his wife's heart so thoroughly.

My Thai Guy.  Have I mentioned he's my hero? 

Love you so much, Ken.  Can't thank you enough for all you do to make so much possible.


Silly "Paw Ken"!!!!



1 comment: