From the rising of the sun,
to the going down of the same,
the Name of the LORD is to be praised.
Psalm 113:3
What do you do when you're there?
I got asked again recently, and it's perfectly understandable, especially when I'm there on my own, which is true this time. I'm used to it. As a pastor I got asked all the time. Ministry life is hard to imagine if you're not 'in it' yourself.
So here's a glimpse into how a day goes when I'm at Hot Springs. While it might be easier to imagine my role when I'm there with a Canadian Team, the 12-15 hour work day (split shift) is still much the same.
Those who've been, you know.
For others, if you're curious:
[Please note: Thai culture is event oriented, not time oriented. Therefore all times indicated should have "or thereabouts" assumed.]
Day starts with morning devotions. I attend and participate but don't teach. I truly love these sleepy gatherings, singing softly, reciting Scripture around the room, orienting our minds and hearts around God's true things before heading into the day.
Kids are doing chores and getting ready for school. With the 12 hour difference, this is a good time for me to write emails and otherwise connect with everyone in Canada before you all are in bed. This is also an important time for Ken and I, to stay in sync with each other when we're so far apart.
Breakfast. When it's just me this is an important time to sit with Suradet and Yupa and casually catch up with one another on a personal level. The relational component of our partnership is essential in our commitment to respect and reciprocity. The treat pictured here is pounded purple mountain sticky rice that is then fried in oil. Crisp on the outside, all warm and gooey on the inside. Yummy! Especially dipped in wild honey.
8:00 a.m. to 12 noon.
Computer work time. This is when I download all the pictures, write blog posts, send updates to each Sponsor, and prepare for preaching on Sunday. This time out it will be only one sermon, preached in Thai, on Genesis 16 and Hagar's encounter with a "God who sees me." I will also review and assemble whatever I need for the evening's English and Bible Lesson. This trip I am teaching through a unit on Colossian 3:12-17 "In Style With Jesus."
The mornings are also when we sit down together for any official meetings of New Family Foundation to keep operations going, the budget on track, and dream together for the future. Or we will meet with the Staff for a time of worship, encouragement and getting their feedback on things.
If we have any out trips to do (to market to find thank yous for Sponsors for example), or if I go along with them to get groceries, it usually happens right after breakfast. Sometimes, when I'm there on my own, I get to tag along to a pastors workshop or conference.
It will be in this time slot that we will sit down and plan together for a special event coming up on November 20, 206 (World Child's Day) that includes some surprises that are best taken care of while I'm there.
12 noon.
Lunch. I have sooo many food pictures! But let's just say Thai food, mostly rice, and not too spicy, really agrees with me!
1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Downtime. This is when I recover a little from jet lag. But even if an actual nap isn't involved, putting my feet up for at least an hour with the AC on if needed, goes a long way in keeping me well and alert for everything else. I've learned the hard way that a tropical environment requires a different daily rhythm.
4:00 p.m.
Children return from school. I will be ready with books and learning activities to receive whoever gets their homework and shower done in time to participate. There is a collection of check marks involved, and some prizes to be had. I love this time to be more one on one with the kids!
6:00 p.m.
Supper. What can I say? Yupa is an amazing cook. I get spoiled.
7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Evening Worship Time. And now the real fun begins. This just might be the highlight of my day, with Anu or Suradet leading us on the guitar in songs I am increasingly learning in Thai. Then I get to lead in a few big group English activities before moving into the Bible lesson for the night.
With our theme this time being "In Style With Jesus," each night the children will receive a small item that can be worn, and it will be placed in a small purse or fanny pack that some of you have collected for us (thank you!). I'm talking about slap on bracelets, funky glasses, rings, pins, and even a moustache! On our last night we will have a fashion show, and I can't wait to take pictures!!!!
Casual conversations with kids and staff or any other Bible school student is with us at the time. Sometimes, on Friday nights, we'll do a group game. Octopus is a favourite (thanks Erin!). Also an indoor snowball fight (thanks Karen)! But mostly, usually we're winding down. The high schoolers will have more homework to do before getting to bed.
To be honest, I'm usually quite ready for shower number 3 or 4 (depending on how hot it's been), and then laying my grateful body down. Because it all starts again by 5:30 a.m.
And that's about it for a 'normal' day.
Saturdays there's always crafts and drawings going on.
Sundays are it's own thing with Hot Springs Church meeting on the premises, and lunch afterwards with everyone.
For this trip, I will make sure to connect with Esther, of course.
And also, this particular September marks 10 years since the death of our beloved Bee, 20 year old son of Suradet and Yupa, who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident. It's quite intentional that I will be there to mark this with them.
September 4 to 17 are my dates. A shorter visit this time. But I'm praying for and expecting God to be faithful to continue to complete the good work He has begun in us (Philippians 1:6).
It's such a joy, each and every 'normal' day, to somehow be part of that.
Rev. Ruth Anne Breithaupt, MDiv.
Canadian Representative/Missionary in Residence
New Family Foundation/Highview Community Church
The mission of New Family Foundation is to
provide a loving home for at-risk and
orphaned children in Northern Thailand to
help them achieve their best potential in
education, vocation and service to society.


No comments:
Post a Comment