Monday, September 18, 2023

A Beautiful Mess


The visit when I first met Da she was only 8 years old. She'd just come to Hot Springs and was that winsome combination of quite shy but also full of questions.

I needed an interpreter back then, and I remember a particularly unhurried evening by the fire, near to the end of my visit, where there were only a few of us. Da was right up against me, my arm around her. We were quiet for a bit. Then she took advantage of the moment, and, through the interpreter, I answered a number of her questions, mostly about snow, and other strange things in Canada.

There was a pause. She snuggled in a bit closer and asked, "Ahjahn Ruth, will you ever come back to us?"

Oh honey. What's the Thai equivalent for 'wild horses couldn't keep me away?'

And now Da is studying to be a nurse.

And this is partly the reason my front room is one big fat mess. Sort of like this explosion of wild weed that reminds me on my morning walk how beauty can be chaotic sometimes.




I'm talking of course about the Garage Sale on Saturday, and what a great opportunity it's been to clear away so much that I don't need anymore but might be useful to someone else. And at the same time, it's all raising funds to make sure Da can pursue her full potential.

If you're nearby, come see the mess at
Highview Community Church,
295 Highview Drive, Kitchener
between 8 and 1.
Saturday, September 23.

Wild weeds and wild horses and little girls who grow up to be strong and tender women.
Beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment