Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Delight of an Ordinary Saturday

Lovely Wara, growing so fast.
Saturdays have a good feel to them, just generally speaking.  It's the weekend.  Mornings can be slower.  Change of pace and scenery for most.  Feels like a free day.  Same at Hot Springs.

We get up the same time, actually.  Morning and evening devotions are like the anchor points to the day, and it would be rare if they were lifted.  Sometimes the evening time is put aside in favour of an outing, but the mornings are pretty much a given.

But after worship?  Light chores, breakfast, and then gathering around the table where Ahjan Ruth is writing emails, just to see what else might happen.  And it does.  We played with the Ipad Anne gave me; Google Maps to be specific.  And we went from Thailand to Canada, hovered over my house for a bit and then 'drove' to the church.  That was really cool.  Kids were quite impressed. 

Then, some of the kids drew pictures for their Sponsors.  Then we watched 'home movies'.  I have clips from almost every trip, and just like every family, these kids love to laugh at themselves because of how young they looked 'way back then', and some of the silly things they did on camera.  Had to apologize to Somchai.  He was going nuts in a silly boy kind of way on tape back in 2008, and when he walked by all tall and teenaged now, and saw what we were doing he actually couldn't stay, he was so embarrassed.  (I do think we're okay....I apologized later and he gave me one of his incredible smiles and said, "Mai pben rai, kup.")
One of dozens of Yupa's amazing orchids.

Dressed up bunny for sale as a pet at the SanKampangan market.
It was lunch then, served by (big) Boy, Apple and Bao (in Suradet and Yupa's absence who were writing an exam for the leadership and administration course they are taking at university).  I took the advantage of lying down then.  Still don't think it's jet lag, more due to the humidity. 

Woke up with lots of time before supper to make sure I am ready to preach tomorrow morning, and have both tomorrow morning and evening's Psalm 91 portion for devotions ready.   Looked at email from Asia's Hope administrator Addison Smith which prompted a good conversation with Suradet about the 'extras' involved in caring for 23 children.  (Eg. How soon would you wear out a washing machine?) 

At one point in the day I noticed a small toad in the bathroom, and that didn't really bother me, except later he was gone and I'm not really sure where he went.  Still, ordinary for Hot Springs.

By 4:30 it was time to head out for supper and then Sampangken  market - a true Asian market experience where I am usually the only farang in sight.  And that was true tonight.

Early to bed, because tomorrow is Sunday, and a lot happens on Sunday.  Including morning worship which will be at 5:30 as usual (but not on the mountaintop because that's about the time it rains every day still).


I should add that in the midst of it all I am working on my Thai, trying to add to my vocabulary daily, and doing my best to string sentences together whenever possible.  Mostly I'm just pleased if anyone understands anything I say at all.  As of today I have begun to say grace only in Thai.  And even with (big) Boy present to interpret, and even though I   know I could use English and be understood, I'm doing the brain search and the pause and....trying. 


And there it was.  An ordinary Saturday with an extraordinary family.  Nothing spectacular...except it was.

I've mentioned before that I was only 11 when God first planted something in my heart for SE Asia.  These past few days here this time, He's seems to be unfolding a bit more about that to me.  Pondering that some.  Next blog I hope to explore that a little more.

For now, I am content to be heading to bed, getting ready for Sunday tomorrow.  I truly do love to spend the time with the dear people of Hot Springs Church who are so gracious as to treat me like an old friend, even when there's only about three things we can say to each other.

Blessings on this Saturday of yours....may it be extraordinarily ordinary for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment