Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Sunrise Over Taipei


I was actually hoping this would happen.

That once we landed in Taipei, our layover area would indulge me in my addiction to take pictures of the rising sun. The angle isn't great, but enough to realize again that we are on the other side of the world, already into Wednesday morning, safely through the first and longer part of our journey.

I am also excited to post this picture of me with my feet up, with apologies to all my Thai friends for whom feet aren't quite so polite. But in the lower portion of the Taipei waiting areas are these recliners and I have always envied the blessed folks who get there in time to claim one.

Today that's us!



So a short but long enough layover to collect ourselves, freshen up a bit, and hunker down into the last 5 hour flight to Chiang Mai. No re-routing through Bangkok like last time. Yay for that.

Suradet and Yupa have been sending us pictures of their grocery cart and the specialty cereals they've been able to get in anticipation of having Ken at their breakfast table. They've gone all out and I think there's a box of Oreo-themed crunchies waiting. It's already a good holiday.

Or visit. Or ministry trip. Or exotic 45th anniversary destination celebration. Not ever really sure how to answer the question, is this business or pleasure? Ummm...

Yes, it's very much what I do now, and Ken too as a co-representative of New Family Family Foundation in a volunteer capacity. Ministry. Work. It's my job. I have significant materials with me for the preaching and teaching and leading of meetings that will happen while we're here. And it's a full 15 hour day, split in the middle for a rest when the day gets crazy hot. In a summer that has included already some great opportunities for rest and restoration, the next few weeks will definitely press me strongly into 'work mode'.

But how can you call it a job when they call you "Mom"?
Pastor Mom, sometimes. And Ken is "Paw Ken".
How can you call it work when there's jumping and laughing and singing and little voices reciting wonderful things from God's love letter to them?
How can you call it that when you're heart is all in?

For sure, I have to say, that with my feet up for the first time since I snuck in a nap at home more than 24 hours ago, it's feeling all luxury at the moment.

Ken says hi and that he's glad the vending machine has Coke and that we had the right kind of money to put into it. Oreos and Coke. What can I say? He's not hard to please :).

So Happy Wednesday already, everyone.
We're in good spirits. A little weary but not even that much, really.
We'll let you know when we land.

Note: That's 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in Thailand and 11:35 p.m. Tuesday. Don't stay up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment