Saturday, July 22, 2023

Bigger Than the Both of Us


 I love this picture of Ken and I in Thailand in fall of 2015 at one of the Royal Gardens.

That's bamboo behind us.  

It represents to me an aspect of our marriage I totally didn't expect.  That is, how much bigger and broader has been the scope of what God has chosen to do with two awkward kids from Scarborough over the 50 year span of their relationship, 45 of those as a married couple.  

Are you kidding me?  This many 'children' and 'grandchildren'?  Thailand?

It's all the more remarkable since the beginning of our story includes a chapter where I was anguishing over my pre-boyfriend career choice of missionary to Southeast Asia, realizing that if I followed through in the way that would seem most normal - that being Bible School right after high school, then heading off to the other side of the world - I may have to give up some personal dreams.

In the end I relinquished.  On my bed one night after a spell of crying/praying, I said yes to whatever God wanted.  And, well, the rest of it played out so very differently than anyone expected.

Now here we are, 45 years later, heading off to Southeast Asia, as missionaries, together.  Spending time with a family God was building for us, not from our DNA, but from His heart.  

Having just spent an intensely satisfying time with our DNA family, it's a strange and wondrous thing that now, in just a few days, we'll be on the plane for a different kind of family-immersion experience.

All I know is that to say yes to God is to say yes to far bigger things you could possibly imagine.

It's the Ephesians 3:20-21 thing.

"Our God is able to do more than we could ever ask or imagine.  He does everything by His power that is working in us.  Give Him glory in the church and in Christ Jesus.  Give Him glory through all time and for ever and ever."

If you're having a hard time remembering our trip dates, don't worry.  Keeping track of the Breithaupt's summer schedule has become a part time job for me too.

July 25 to August 8 is our time away.

Leaving Toronto Airport at 1:45 a.m. July 25.  Arriving in Chiang Mai Wednesday, July 26 around 10:30 a.m.

Thank you so much, everyone for your support and love!


No comments:

Post a Comment