Thursday, October 16, 2014

Jailhouse Sermons

Sometimes Jesus shows up in the most unlikely of places.

I felt that way two years ago, the first time I visited the women's correctional institute in Chiang Mai.  Within these walls there are about 120 women who have responded to God's invitation to new life and forgiveness through Jesus, because of the faithful, life-giving presence of Pastor Suradet and Yupa, and another pastor friend of theirs, Pastor Pic-Chai. 

About once a month they drive the 45 minutes into Chiang Mai, subject themselves to the security checks, and spend two hours with some of the most peaceful, delightful women you'd ever want to meet.

I had the enormous privilege of visiting with them again today.

Like last time, they sang us in.  It's a surreal experience.  Behind barbed wire and bars, voices echoing against the bare gray walls and floor, their strong unison and rhythmic clapping can be heard first from a distance and then growing louder until you turn the corner and come into the open space where they sit, row on row, smile on smile.  Their joy saturates the room.

Thinking over the day, yes, I'm glad for the sense that I really connected with the women as I spoke (through an interpreter).  I talked about what an arduous journey it is to travel half way across the world, but how the thought of that first glimpse of my Thai family, waiting at the airport to receive me, makes any and all discomforts and expense more than worth it.  Oh so worth it.  I compared that to the hope of 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, and the focus we can have, as followers of Jesus, on what it waiting for us at the end of all this journey we call life.

Yes, I'm glad for that great feeling of them laughing at the right places, and nodding in agreement, and otherwise indicating that somehow something was being communicated that seemed somewhat helpful.

But today I am more impressed with what those women have yet again brought to me.  They were more a sermon to me than anything I spoke to them.  With the same point.  Their voices, singing again to us as we left, ring in my mind as a bookmark for keeping a perspective of hope.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Esther remained to teach flute and hang out with the kids.  Apparently enough progress is being made already that a short, simple duet is planned for this coming Sunday service!  It's so much fun watching Esther with the girls.  She's patience and encouraging, and really knows her stuff.

I also asked Esther to hand over my little camera to one of the kids.  I find that I get some pretty good pictures that way.  What follows is the work of Eg and Cheunlung.  :)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode:  "Esther Rides An Elephant"

Paula (Ponla) and Cheunlung

Kratae, Cheunlung, Esther and Ponla

Bal (Bell) and Esther

Esther so strong with Cheunlung and Tonkhao

No comments:

Post a Comment