Monday, April 8, 2024

How Little Does it Take to Make a Huge Difference? Educating Girls in Thailand

I'll start with the bottom line.

Right now, we need $3,000 to send some girls to school.

Now let me give you the (much) bigger picture.

==============

When Tae arrived at Hot Springs she was twelve years old.

We asked her to give a bit of a bio about herself.


This is what she told us.

My name is Kratae and I am from the Shaw Karen Tribe.  I am the youngest of two children and we live high on a mountain.  My parents separated.  

I have nowhere to attend school nearby and there is no one who can send me to any other school.  The nearest school is a 4 hour walk from my village.  It is too far for me to attend school regularly.  My mother has to work to provide for me and my older sibling which is very hard for her.  

But now I am able to come to live at Hot Springs I can attend school like other children.  I also have the opportunity to learn about worshipping God.  Even though I don't know how to sing or understand the Bible, now that I am at Hot Springs I am learning more and more about God!

Everything in this bio speaks to a pervasive reality in Southeast Asia.  Poverty prevents possibility.  And it's especially true for young girls.

Remember that she is 12 when she is gathered into our family.  Look at the chilling comment from an article by The Borgen Project.

"To conclude, girls in Thailand do have equal access to education but there are often other obstacles in their way. Girls who do not attend school are at a higher risk of being human trafficked."  (Emphasis added)  Girls' Education in Thailand 

Today, Tae has completed her high school education and is attending Rajabaht Univeristy in Chiang Mai, studying horticulture and business.  She hopes to own and operate her own produce garden one day.  An independent business woman.



This is a good time to thank Tae's Sponsors, George and Linda Gabber, who have supported her all the way through.

Here's the thing though.

Our students are financially supported through a separate fund than how we manage daily operations. And while the monthly amount Sponsors donate does indeed cover the cost of their elementary school education, we do not expect our Sponsors to foot the bill for post secondary school fees.  

The good news is that it costs roughly $1,000.00 Canadian dollars per year per student to provide the educational opportunities they choose to pursue.  You read that right.  

Just $1,000 for tuition AND board to make the all the difference in the world for Tae.

It's April so, it's time again to make the appeal.

We have three students and right now we need $3,000 to set them up for their next run of studies.

Want to help make a HUGE difference?  A few ways to do this.

Contact me via email, rabreithaupt@hcckw.ca.

E-transfer your donation to donations@hcckw.ca and designated it for Student Fund.

Send a check payable to Highview Community Church
with "NFF Student Fund" in the memo line to:
Pauline McAughey
Highview Community Church
295 Highview Drive KIT ON N2N 2K7

All contributions over $20 will be receipted for tax purposes.

Thanks for letting me ask.
Thanks for considering!

Blessings all,

Ruth Anne

Rev. Ruth Anne Breithaupt, MDiv.
Missionary in Residence/Canadian Representative
Highview Community Church/New Family Foundation
Logo update.png
The mission of New Family Foundation is to provide a loving home
for at risk and orphan children in Northern Thailand
to help them achieve their best potential in
education, vocation and service to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment