Monday, October 23, 2023

Bibles and Broccoli Stems and Bai Teos.


One of my first mentors in cross cultural ministry told me that just like I'll always speak Thai with an accent, I will also 'do culture' with an accent. I am finding this to be true.


And one of the more 'accented' bits is the difference between the perspectives of privilege and poverty.

A trip to Niagara Falls can really bring this forward.

In Thai 'bai teo' means 'out for fun,' or more simply, 'an outing'. Saturday was that for a group of us from Highview, and we had a great day. Ken and I were responsible for the cost for eight of us (ourselves, our guests, and three of our grandchildren), which we'd budgeted for, of course. But it's no surprise that this adds up.

Suradet often asks how much something costs. This is not impolite, just a matter of curiosity and comparison, and trying to understand Canadian economics. And inevitably, when told, his response is one of shock.

The shock is more than just that between the value of the Canadian dollar and the Thai baht. Much more.

Anyone who was with us on October 15 for Suradet's sermon knows that, when he was a child, one can of tuna was the entire portion of protein for a family of six for the entire day. And not every day did they have that luxury.

When I was a child, my parents brought me to Niagara Falls. Often.

New topic, same point. Broccoli stems.

Usually Ken and I eat them. Peel off the outer layer, then chop into cubes and throw them in with the tree tops. But on the day we had the reception for Sponsors and Supporters, there was so much going on in the kitchen, that in preparing the veggie tray, I just threw the stems into the compost.

Yupa fished them out. She very respectfully explained that you can eat these too, then wrapped them up and put them back in the fridge for later.

Like my Thai Bible.

A few years back, when my Thai/English Bible was falling apart, I asked if we could visit the Christian Bookstore in Chiang Mai so I could buy a new one. Yupa had another idea and brought out some duct tape, which she very artistically used to put my Bible back together again.

She, too, was raised in a very different environment than me.

And I am brought to that humble place again.
I don't like it.
Being reminded simply by example and contrast, how very privileged my life has been and how this permeates everything, hurts my heart.
But I'm glad for it.

Back to the day trip to Niagara Falls. When we talked about it afterwards, after they had stopped trying to add up how much the day has cost, I asked them.

"In 16 years of caring for the children, and all the personal sacrifices you have made, how many times have you had a holiday?"

Reluctant nods of, 'oh okay, we get it, sort of.' Because they never do, not really.

I have no problem budgeting for a one day outing to one of the seven wonders of the world to bless these incredible heroes of faith and tenacity and compassion. And to include my grandchildren and other friends in the experience of making memories together with them. No problem at all.

But I am also deeply grateful for the ways our connection presses me into places of my soul that need some attention. For how it makes me think twice about spending money on something I could do without. How it makes me realize just how much God has given me, and how much He wants to make sure hungry children have food, and what that has to do very directly with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment