Friday, August 4, 2023

No Small Thing

 As seems to be a pattern from previous visits, these last days here I find myself ‘gathering and sorting’.

Thoughts. Feelings. Hopes. Expectations. Reflections. Observations.
It’s all part of an intentionality I have found to be so helpful in the ongoing discernment process of hearing God’s voice and direction for the love-work He’s invited me into here. To stop and do this.
It happens quite easily as I download my pictures.

It’s been a full two weeks, with Ken’s presence and the celebration of our 45th anniversary included, so there’s lots to gather, lots to sort through. The whole of the processing, like the pictures, will take weeks if not longer, and so in these quieter (for now) Saturday morning moments, I make no attempt to make any sure statements. Not even to summarize. Not yet.
But one thing seems repeated. This time, and perhaps every time.
There is no such thing as a small thing in God’s hands.
Apparently, I like to take pictures of flowers when I’m here, something a real photographer (Evangeline Wilton) pointed out to me when we were here together a few years back.
It’s true. In particular, I like to try to capture the very small blooms. Bring them forward into focus. Let them be seen and admired even though they might be overlooked if you were just walking by and didn’t stop to get a closer look.
I was doing this on our second visit to the other property, yesterday. While Ken and Suradet and our male staff A-nu paced out and measured for potential new dorms and kitchens and bathrooms and such, I traipsed about capturing small things.
I think long ago I abandoned the very wrong notion that success was measured in size. I rejoice with my brothers and sisters in ministry when they report huge numbers in Bibles delivered, churches planted, congregational attendance, healings and baptisms. Of course I do, who wouldn’t?
But these things no longer motivate me to emulate them.
Because God is also in the small. And so many of us serve in the small ways that never earn much attention, if that's what we wanted. No interview or article or any notice whatsoever, really. Honestly, the world could well walk by and never even know we were here. And that’s good and that’s true and that’s also how God works.


The wise words from a director of a local charity in KW (Jon Hill of Ray of Hope) once told a group of us that you can do one thing for a lot of people or do a lot of things for a few people, and it was good to know which thing you were going to aim for.
Twenty-one. Right now that’s how many delicate, miniscule little souls God has asked us to care for. And each one is an individual in their own right. A uniquely essential human being God has placed on this planet for His own plans and purposes. And for some incredible reason, He has seen fit to have us come alongside them and support their growing as they become all they were created to be.
One at a time. Small but not small. Not at all.

Now, for clarification. New Family Foundations does want you to know we are here. We need you. You are an essential part in making this smal- not-small beautiful thing happen for these kids.
And, the part about buildings for the new property? Well, consider that a behind the scenes sneak peak into some of what we are trying to prepare for, as God provides and leads.
Which is really what I’m gathering and sorting in these last days before heading back….I was going to say ‘home’ but…..it seems I have a few of those.
Photo Cred: Still life, me. Children Ahahn Gow Sman (with thanks).






No comments:

Post a Comment