Thursday, November 3, 2022

Maybe the Hokey Pokey IS What It's All About

L-R Fah, Meena, Pooey, Atom, Gam, Im, Da, May

There's been a lot less hugging than usual in these first few days here.

Partly, that's because I'm keeping my distance for about five days...just in case.  Feeling great, actually.  Better than I should be given the extra rigors of the trip this time.  But if I do begin to present with any symptoms....best be careful.

But it's more than just that.

So many of the kids have never met me.  And some of them are still adjusting to being here and being part of this family.  Some of them, as I might observe, will take a while long to show the benefits of the better nutrition and overall care.  To hold back a little makes sense, and respecting that is therefore even more important.

The older girls (pictured above) - which sounds funny for me to even call them that now - are holding back a little too.  Maybe because when I left they were very much into that cuddly stage, and now they are becoming young women.  Maybe because a lot has happened in the world since I was gone and, well, aren't we all a little more careful with our hearts and expectations this side of COVID.  After all, I was gone for a long time because of it.

Speculation, at this point, shared because an honest account of how it is here brings more of it home to those who can't be.  And because I'm still sorting myself out a little in these first few, lesser-hugging days, and it helps to say it.  And because caring for at-risk and orphaned children is more complicated that any amount of hugging or can resolve.  All of our kids are here for a reason.  

But then, a bit of a breakthrough.

Right.  Left.  

That's the basic concept we're after for the little ESL portion of our time together last night.  As I said, a lot of the children are new, and many of the little boys are very much at a beginner stage as far as English learning is concerned.

And, come on, when you have Right and Left as your main concepts, you just HAVE to do the Hokey Pokey.*  And when you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, well, apparently that is what it's all about.  Because big smiles.  Because laughing.  Because being silly (especially when you get to the 'you put your backside in' verse) is freeing, and fun, and is a love language all its own.

For me personally, I am over the top grateful for a very solid first few days here, emotionally, physically, even sleep-wise.  But there's still a sense that there's work to do and trust to regain.  

I can be patient.  I takes a while to earn the name "Gramma" in any language.

For all those who Sponsor a Child, and support us in other ways, thank you.  Your love is known here.  The tangibles and the prayers.  It's all part of giving our kids the space to believe they matter, they are important, and they're safe.

Here's a little glimpse of opening the packets from the Sponsors last Tuesday night.

I'm still building up my picture file.  Haven't wanted the new kids especially to feel too invaded.

Deborah (pink) and Goon (blue)

May (who is now taller than me)

Bell

Guitar


*The inspiration for the title of this blog, and much more creative reflections of my life, is from my dear friend and kindergarten teacher extraordinaire, Anne Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment