Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Family Adventure: The Gabber's Story

The next installment in a series highlighting folks who have visited our Thai family at Hot Springs (New Family Foundation). Here, Linda recounts her family's adventure with husband George and three children Johnny, Elaine and Emerson.

Georg and Johnna (back) Linda and Elaine (front) missing Emerson.

Well, we’re all living in a place we haven’t been before. I mean , this pandemic stuff.The rules are all different and I can’t make sense of what’s going on. There’s fear and there’s going to be sadness. And yet, we’ll also declare God’s goodness and listen and walk in His ways.  


When I reflect back on my family’s choice to go to Hot Springs in 2012, 13 and 15 I see some similarities. I wanted my family to experience a different part of the world, to catch a glimpse of how big it is and to see that God is bigger. I hoped by participating in our church’s involvement with "Regions Beyond" it would set us on a path of looking beyond ourselves. 


Ed:  Emerson celebrated his 11th birthday in Thailand.
We were immersed in another language and culture. We saw God’s kingdom of love in action. We were caught up in the care and teaching that resulted in devoted worship and prayer.  Seeing the opportunities that education brings means there’s hope amidst the hard work.  

My kids mixed right in with the Hot Springs kids.We worked hard on our assigned roles and tasks even if it didn’t seem natural. Playful, joyful and mischievous fun was had. We made friends.



Ed:  Classic Johnny (hope he'll forgive me)
For families who are feeling the nudge to go, I’d recommend training here. Have adventures at home, spend time exploring, read books, go to a Thai restaurant or an Asian grocery store, walk in the woods, build something, sing songs, play sports, whatever your family likes to do.

God will use your gifts and develop ones you didn’t know you had. Listen, and listen some more. In our story we readied our finances and were blessed in unexpected ways long after the trip.

Of course, my other piece of advice would be to think about and try out health and hygiene practices in a tropical setting.





With gratitude to Ruth Anne, Yupa and Suradet for making it all possible.

Blessings to all, Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment