Sunday, August 4, 2019

Half Way Already? - Week One Team Report

Norma





"I've only been here a week and already I am undone.  Once the children warm up to you, their smiles, their hugs, their eagerness to serve you in so many ways, and their contagious laugh, just melt your heart.   Praweet is the little guy I sponsor (with Colin).  He is feisty and mischievous.   He'll offer his hand to shake, but as you move towards him he pulls it back to slick down his hair (which is funny because he hardly has any).   He is eager to learn English and I am delighted that he wants to read with me so much.  I am so glad that so many supporters helped me make this life-altering trip.  Thank you.  Sawat dee, ka.


Sheldon


I am a traveling photographer, a foodie, and and a person that simply loves to explore all the wonders of this world.  I feel incredibly blessed to be experiencing such a truly ancient land and culture in its truest forms. From the grand vista views of mist that flows over the lush green mountains like an avalanche of molasses, to the small things like bartering for sweet dried mango at the local markets in a language you can't understand with people that have the grace to listen and help. I had no doubt in my mind that I'd enjoy the magic that Thailand is clearly blessed with. That includes but is not limited to the food, rich and full of flavour, spicy concoctions passed down through generations and improved upon by men and women with a zeal to bring joy to others. All these are just some of the wonderful blessings Hot Springs/ New Family Foundation have bestowed on us the whole time we have been here. Not once have they faltered to care for a need that we had. Not once have we gone unprayed for. The children are full of joy and laughter from the blessings they received from back home and the love of Pastor Suradet and Yupa, and they are not shy to reciprocate.


Becca


It has been a beautiful experience watching and interacting with these children here at Hot Springs. I have never witnessed children that are so caring and generous. You know the saying, “What’s mine is yours”? That’s how they live. Every present they get and everything they buy, they share with one another. They treat each other like sisters and brothers here.  It is also so inspiring and exciting to watch their eagerness to connect with myself and the other new team members as well as their eagerness to learn English.  Some of these children did not come from good homes and it is so uplifting to watch them care so much and love so fiercely. 

Ahajan Suradet and Yupa, the two pastirs at Hot Springs and the people who opened up their home to these children, have been so generous and such amazing hosts. They have cared for us so much and I can’t help but mention how good their food is!! I am so grateful for this opportunity and feel so lucky to experience so much hospitality and love.


Esther






Hello Everyone!
This first week back at Hot Springs has been wonderful in so many ways. There are 3 things that stand out to me about this trip so far. First, the joy and humor of Suradet. For some time, this side of him had disappeared as he was going through a period of grieving. But now, the king of dad jokes is back in action, making the kids laugh and bringing smiles to all. Suradet and Yupa take care of their family with so much love and we are beyond lucky to be included in that. Since my trip is longer this time, both of them have expressed very clearly to me that I am like a daughter to them and if I ever need anything while I am here, I can call them and they will help. How amazing it is to be loved by two families on different sides of the world!
The second thing is the inclusion here at Hot Springs, especially with the 5 new children. Jabez, Min, A-ton, Een, and Meena have only been here for around 3 months and they are already deeply engaged in worship and finding good groups of friends. One of the coolest things to see is how the younger kids transition into the “older sibling” role. During the church service on Sunday, it was raining really hard and all the fans were on, meaning that there was a little bit of a chill in the air. The Highview Team was grateful for said breeze, but tiny little Meena (who, although being 7 years old, has the body of a girl who is 5), was absolutely frozen. And with so much love, May, who used to be the smallest child here, took off her sweater and gave it to her sister. Wow. It is not only Suradet and Yupa who take care of these children, but everyone is involved in the process of caring for and loving on these little ones.
Finally, the biggest difference for me is the knowledge that after the first few weeks here are done, I don’t have to go home. I’m feeling this amazing sense of peace that I don’t have to rush anything. I don’t have to worry about not fitting everything in, or making sure I get photos of every cool thing that I see, because I have 6 months to soak it all in. How relaxing it is to know that I get to be here in Thailand for this long and that my time is going to be spent focusing on my relationship with God and what He wants for my life. I am ready to submit every part of myself to Him and make the most of my 6 months here with the hope that when I return, I will be a stronger disciple for God and more in tune with the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Already, I can feel myself learning and healing from the interactions with my Hot Springs family, and YWAM hasn’t even begun! How happy my heart is here. As All Son’s and Daughter’s so perfectly said “How perfectly how hearts were made for love”.

Ruth Anne



And that's a glimpse into this amazing Team I get to be here with on this trip.  It's been great to see us gel together, not in spite of but because of our inter-generational dynamic.  And to have a growing list of our own 'trip stories', "Sheldon quotes" and other inside jokes. 

Hard to believe our time is almost half over already.  It's going so very fast with all our outings, reading to the kids, yesterday's worship service, and today's preparation of small packets (teddy bears, soap and candy) to deliver to a nearby, under-resourced school.  The rain, while making everything lush and green, is dampening some of our plans (couldn't do Chiang Mai Walking Market last night for example), but not our spirits, as we immerse ourselves in this community of love and gentleness. 

Even with the busy schedule, I am overwhelmed with all the 'moments'.  Watching the fun as Team members read to the kids, hearing little voices sound out the words in the new books, jumping and dancing to all the fun songs, Suradet reading from the Bible given to him by Jen, Sheldon's word of testimony at service on Sunday, and oh...the depth of the worship in praising God in this stunning language.

This is a short visit for me, for sure.  I'm now completely spoiled for the one month visit where I can fully dig down into the rhythm of Thai culture and the way life flows daily here at Hot Springs.  But I am also aware that in a very short amount of time, six weeks to be exact, I'll be here again.  And yes, that will be for the month of October. 

How did I get this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment