Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Oh Ye of Little Blog

Sunrise Over the Mountain
It's the day before that it hits me.  Tomorrow I leave for home.
And always that same weird time warp kind of feeling.  How could it be time to go when I just got here?  And how could time have gone by so fast when it feels like I've been here for way longer?

Is it the time difference or my heart that messes me up like this?

In looking over the communications and postings of the past four weeks, I am surprised that there's so little.  It's true that we had to cancel the mountain trip (due to washed out roads), and that we didn't actually go into the schools  with our ESL program (due to new educational guidelines).  So in a way there was 'less' to write about.

But life here is rich just in the context of this family and these eager kids and their heroic parents.  Different experiences, from the mundane to the extraordinary, happen every day. Truth is there's so much here to reflect on at any given moment.  And usually Hot Springs is a perfect place for that kind of musing.

Not so much this time.

Several reasons probably.  One was the extent of my seasonal fatigue when I arrived, and on top of that, catching a rather bad cough and a touch of the traveler's bug right out of the gate.  Those first ten days to two weeks it was enough just to make it to morning worship, prepare sermons and evening ESL and Bible lessons, and sneak in a nap when I could.

But later on, even in this last week when I've had the time, I've been more prone just to be here than to write about it.  There's lots to write about yet, I know.  Being a guest at a Thai Buddhist wedding.  The unfolding story of the purchase of the new property.  Observations and delights about the kids themselves.  Deeper things in my own soul that always happen when I'm here and this far away from my 'normal' life.  It's all there.  I just haven't blogged about it yet.

And there's the fact that as I write these words a beautiful man at home who's lived a long and godly life, is gently breathing through his transition from all that he's lived out here to the eternal, spectacular life he's about to step into.  And there's a hush I feel, even from here, and I want to respect that.

So, more stories later.  Some on Sunday, February 4 when the Thailand Team gives our report at Highview.  Some later after I'm home and sorting myself out in the wee hours of the morning.  And some will perhaps have to wait until after I'm done these next four months, which I want to do with great focus and love and energy and grace.  After that, time to write I think.

I'm reminded of a Steve Bell song that sums up the bigger story God is writing here.

"Oh we know in our hearts that this must be the work
of the One who looks over us all.
The love we've been given,
The love we all share
Is the greatest gift of all."

And yesterday Suradet led in what has become my theme song for this whole Thai experience.  There's a story behind that too, but for now I'll just end with the words to the chorus.  It reflects the impossible overflow of gratitude that basically undoes me every time it's time to go.

And now
Let the weak say 'I am strong'
Let the poor say 'I am rich' 
Because of what the Lord has done for  us.


No comments:

Post a Comment