Friday, December 18, 2015

Highview, You're Just Spectacular!

Dear Phenomenal People of Highview,

Having just finished my first week back after a three-month absence, I couldn't be more convinced at what an amazing community of faith you are.

While I was away 'sabbaticalling' you were here being "The Church' in the midst of a fall that held some significant surprises.  The surprises came in the midst of a time when we were already in a 'not normal' kind of plan in order to accommodate my time in Thailand.  Almost every area of the church's ministry, already in an unusual mode, felt the impact to some degree.  

But you.  You stepped up.  You rallied.  You kept on going.  You extended grace to one another.

You were 'The Church.' 

You need to know that my heart for Highview is such that, had I known about the surprises ahead of time (which by the way didn't just happen at Highview but in my own family quite personally as well) I would NOT have gone away.  I would NOT have removed myself from the work here.  I would have stayed to shoulder it together with you.

Apparently, that wasn't what God had in mind.  The timing of things seems to suggest other plans were unfolding instead; plans that needed me to be away in order for God to do what He did and allow you all to choose what you chose, which was love and grace and self-sacrifice and tenacity.

Amazing.

And wonderful.  So wonderful for me to come back to such a warm welcome.  So wonderful for me to come back to stories of how you've cared for one another.  So wonderful for me to come back to TWO baptisms this Sunday!  So wonderful for me to come back and realize again what incredible people call Highview their church.

Christmas is just one week away as I write.   And with all my heart I want to thank you and bless you.  My hope and prayer is that each and every one of you will have exactly the kind of Christmas your soul needs it to be.  Not perfect in a stereotypical 'Hollywood' kind of way, because we all know that's just the fluff.  But in a way that is exactly what needs to happen for you and your family, and for this church, in order to allow Jesus the room to bring His hope to your heart.

2016 will bring new things for Highview, at least in the first months.  An unexpected fall seems to be giving way to a fresh kind of winter, and ministry morphs once again under the sway of God's good guidance by virtue of realities we can welcome with curiosity.  And joy!  And excitement!

Because God's like that.  YOU are like that.  And together we can continue being 'The Church.'

For my part, know that my time away was everything and more that I needed it to be.  I promise you that this was not wasted or taken for granted, and the work God did in my heart these past three astonishing months will continue as I commit myself to cooperating with His Holy Spirit towards even more discoveries and awakenings.  Thank you 'very so much' for releasing me for this. 

Comfort and Joy to you, all my dear brothers and sisters.  Comfort and Joy and Peace and Blessing.

You amaze me, over and over again.

Ruth Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment