Sunday, May 16, 2010

We have been to the night market!

Megan:

As I sit at hot springs and listen to awful karaoke, I am a happy camper despite how poor the music is. If you're wondering about the karaoke, apparently a karaoke bar set up shop literally RIGHT next to hot springs last year. The karaoke is as loud at night as it is bad, and Suradet says some nights it keeps the children up a bit. Think Achy Breaky Heart sung by a constipated elephant. That's about how it sounds.

But I'm a happy camper because we went to the Sunday night market. Suradet and Yupa took us out for dinner, and for some reason we went to the Central Airport Plaza (just to get mcdonalds), which is an ENORMOUS mall. We're talking five stories tall, and with an aquarium in the middle. It also happened to be the last day of the ice cream festival! That basically means that a ton of different ice cream stores come together and all sell ice cream. It was amazing. But we were so full from our mcdonalds that we didn't have room for ice cream. :( I think we should have started with the ice cream! Haha!

Sadly we didn't have time to actually shop at the mall. But maybe next time!

We were a little nervous on the way over because we were heading right into a storm. The wind was insane, and by the time we got to the mall it was pouring! But after we had dinner it was barely raining, so the trip to the night market was still on!

The market itself was amazing. It's just this big huge mass of people with their little tables all selling different things. Lots of jewellery, bags, and clothing, but even games and spices as well!

I myself spent a grand total of 1,600 baht which equals about $50 Canadian. And guess what? I got pretty much ALL my souvenires tonight! Haha, I'm so excited.

I'm very thankful we had Suradet and Yupa with us though, because they are master bargainers. We wouldn't have gotten nearly as good prices as we did without them. Though I did manage a couple of good haggles myself (even talking one lady down from 450 to 300 baht!).

The even better news is that we get to go to another night market tomorrow night! :) see, tonight was "Sunday night market" which, as the name states, is only on Sundays. But then there's the regular night market that Mike is taking us to tomorrow. So what few things I still need to get will be accomplished tomorrow. I also didn't actually get any souvenires for myself tonight (totally forgot!) so I should probably get myself a little elephant or something then too. Ruth anne and I managed to also grab some things for our annual Christmas Bazaar back home!

Yet another plus tonight is that it has cooled way down thanks to the storm. Right now with the fan on, our room is 31 C. That's the coolest I think it's ever been!

Buuut, it's time for me to get to bed! I'm glad we got to call Highview today, I hooe some of you heard it (and that we made sense, haha). Goodnight all!

(Oh yeah, for anyone wondering about our schedule...tonight is our last at hot springs! :( Tomorrow after breakfast we'll pack, and then after lunch we'll head off to Mike's to stay there overnight. He'll be driving us to the airport, and then Suradet and some of the children will meet us at the airport to say a final, teary goodbye.)
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

1 comment:

  1. Megan...sounds like an exciting evening!! Storms and a huge mall...it's not something I picture in Thailand! Glad it's cooled off...compared to what it was.
    Wow...soon time to start the trek home...
    see you Thursday!
    Love, Aunt Juanita

    ReplyDelete